Monday 16 August 2010

BLACKKY



BLACKKY
The sixth album of Reggae star, Nya Edward Inyang (Blackky) entitled Reggae Icon was launched recently at Muson Centre, Onikan, Lagos. It was indeed an afternoon of fun for the guests who graced the ceremony as they were treated to beautiful tracks from the new album. The artiste who entertained guests with Rossie, one of the hit tracks in the album also used the opportunity to thank his fans, colleagues and well-wishers for always being there for him.
‘I feel very glad, I appreciate the presence of all my colleagues, fans, friends and loved ones who have come to witness this event. From the first song, Baby girl, currently enjoying airplay, we are overwhelmed by the response, which shows that the fans are welcoming me back in a grand way.

The duo of Charles Oputa (Charly Boy); President of the Performing Musician Employers Association of Nigeria (PMAN) and Oritz Wiliki, Second Vice Chairman launched the album with the sum of N100,000. After that, the floor was opened for interested individuals to launch the album and got them autographed by the artiste. 

In an interview with Daily Sun, Blackky shed light on why he chose the title Reggae Icon, saying: "I chose that title because over the years, people have come to know me as a reference point when it comes to contemporary reggae music in Africa. Speaking on his expectations from the album, the musician said: "As far as I am concerned, in all my albums, I have never expected hits. What I do is to play and compose my songs the way I can and leave the rest to my fans to decide.” 

Meanwhile, there was no dull moment on the occasion as the duo of Basketmouth and Teju Babyface spiced up the event with jokes. Guests who graced the occasion include veteran TV presenter Ruth Benamasia - Opia, former Miss Nigeria; Vien Tetshola, Esse Agesse-Ogoro, Tony Okoroji, Patrick Doyle, Sound Sultan, Zaaky Adzay, Muma Gee, Agatha Amata, and Azeezat, among others.
Blackky, a graduate of Sociology from the University of Lagos began his musical career as a DJ in 1986. As a student, he was a regular feature in concerts usually at Lekki during festive periods of Easter and Christmas.

Inyang however, got his break in 1990 when he contested and won the Lekki Sunsplash talent hunt contest which gave him a record deal with the then Polygram Records. 
In 1991 when he released his first album; About Tyme containing hit songs like Rosie, Blakky Skank and Sugar Stick. Between 1991 and 2005, he has released six albums and won many awards to his credit.
The Reggae Icon is also credited with hit tracks like L.M.A. Leave me Alone, Babygirl, African Dance Hall King, Delilah and Wife among others.
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/black-and-krazzy/id377053623

1 comment:

  1. This is an album I love to live with forever

    ReplyDelete